University and Apprenticeships
University (HE) is a huge step, but we are here to support students through the whole application process. Our UCAS Coordinator will prepare students for their application to university and support with student finance queries.
- Students are given Term 5 and 6 to research into chosen university courses and have support from their tutor and Head of Sixth Form
- Students will complete their first draft of their personal statement, which will be marked by their tutor
- Students will have Term 1 and 2 dedicated to UCAS applications through the online too, Unifrog.
- Students will edit and re-draft their personal statements for final checks before uploading to their application on the UCAS portal
- Applications will be checked by the UCAS coordinator before being sent off
- Offers will come in once universities have made decisions based on predicted grades and teacher references, plus the personal statement
Students will have an opportunity to attend university trips (Year 12) in preparation for their UCAS journey at the start of year 13. The sixth form will visit Northampton Academy UK UNiversity Fair, where a number of universities will showcase with stalls. Students will then visit the UCAS Discovery event at the NEC in Birmingham where they will also have an opportunity to speak to Oxbridge, Russell Group and degree apprenticeship admissions.
Students who are applying for Oxford or Cambridge University colleges will recieve support from the Oxbridge mentor team to ensure they are prepared for these applications and interviews. Students who are enrolled on these mentoring sessions will be invited to attend trips to these universities to find out more about the application process and recieve support on their personal statements.
We also have a central support network where our strategic careers lead provides additional support for interviews, admission tests and guidance if needed.
Students will recieve, throughout the year, guidance on how to apply for apprenticeships and degree apprenticeships through extended tutor mornings, CV workshops and external speakers from local companies. Students also recieve regular updates for opportunities through our Teams where our careers team inform students of national and local apprenticeship fairs or role openings.
Our careers team will also arrange mock interview practise with contacts, who will visit and arrange assessment centre days, too.