My name is Karen Atkins and I am the School Health nurse covering North Oxfordshire Academy.
My background is in paediatric and adult nursing having spent the early part of my career within a hospital setting before becoming a school nurse in 2004.
Secondary schools within Oxfordshire have a named NHS School Health Nurse who is based in the school. The aim of the School Nurse is to offer evidence based preventative health care for children and young people. We strive to improve young people’s health and wellbeing and their life chances. I will work closely with teaching and wellbeing staff at NOA encouraging students to be both physically and emotionally healthy in order to make informed healthy lifestyle choices and reach their full potential.
What we do
We offer routine childhood vaccinations within the schools programme which include
- Year 8 girls– HPV cervical cancer
- Year 9 – Tetanus /diphtheria/ polio booster and meningitis ACWY.
- Year 11 – 2016 and 2017 Meningitis ACWY
We offer support with medication in school particularly with reference to emergency medications such as epipens, insulin, epilepsy treatments and asthma inhalers.
School Nurses provide public health interventions including:
- Someone to talk to confidentially to address issues concerning emotional, physical, sexual and social health and wellbeing.
- Health lifestyle choices (keeping safe, smoking cessation, substance misuse advice)
- Delivery of a healthy weight management program (Reach4Health)
- Support teachers with PSHE
- Refer and signpost to specialist services
- Offer a confidential School Nurse drop-in
- Provide contraception, pregnancy testing and sexual health screening.
If we cannot help, we will find someone who can.
How can you access the School Nurse?
- Young people can pop into the School Nurse office drop-ins at break or lunchtime (alone or with a friend)
- Speak to Learning and Welfare staff and ask them to contact us
- Self-refer using a slip from student services / office door
- Contact me via text or phone call – 07770851287
- E mail me – Karen.firstname.lastname@example.org
The School Nursing service is confidential. This means we can discuss personal information with young people in confidence and will not discuss it with anyone else without their permission. However we would pass on any information that we feel is needed to protect a young person or someone else from serious harm. Whenever possible this would be discussed with the young person first.
Tel: Via NOA switchboard / Mobile: 0770851287
E mail – Karen.email@example.com
School Nurse Website: www.oxfordhealth.nhs.uk